Strategic Intent is based on future scenarios of what is possible to stretch the company. It is not derived from current strategy. The objectives of strategic intent development are to:
1. Provide overall guidance to the organization.
▪ Direct opportunity teams when considering options.
▪ Identify who best fits in strategic innovation or new business creation work.
▪ Create alignment throughout the company.
2. Provide framework for guiding portfolio and opportunity criteria as well as metrics.
3. Drive prioritization and opportunity goal setting.
4. Set boundaries (identifies the playing field) for new ideas and opportunities. What is in and what is out?
5. Define required competencies.
We have successfully helped many companies in developing their strategic intent, and these companies benefit from having a strategic direction for their innovation efforts that they efficiently and successfully can pursue.